Monday, August 19, 2013

Pioneer Trek -- Are you a Trekkie?

Back in January or February of this year the Bishop called and asked if we could meet with him.  He did not say what it was, he just gave us a time.  We showed up and he made small talk for a bit and then dropped the bomb.  (Now, anyone who reads this blog will likely know that we have three small kids.  We both had significant callings already and I was already planning on being at scout camp for the summer.  Not to mention the previously posted Tahoe trip and a week-long family reunion during the end of July.)  So, he asks us if we will accept callings to be a Ma and Pa for the Pioneer Trek that summer.  I have to say I was surprised.  I mean, I was eyeball-poppingly shocked and surprised.  Of all the callings I have received, this was the most out of left field.

Well, Shauna did a couple of fist pumps -- she was so excited-- and I was much more subdued because she had never been on a pioneer trek and I had.  I knew the stink, the sweat, and the deprivation that signal pioneer trek so I was not celebrating wildly like some other people.  Needless to say Shauna answered yes for both of us and we were later set apart and officially became Ma and Pa.

Spring came and we were going to meetings and fretting over all the materials that we were responsible to bring on Trek.  We had a meeting about how to play the harmonica, as well as, meetings about the Martin and Willie handcart companies and the serious and desperate circumstances they faced.  It was sobering to think about--such an awful situation, without any real knowledge that someone was coming to save you.  Made my task as a Pa seem like a trip to paradise.  

The night before we left, we went the church and dropped our equipment and supplies and helped the kids going on Trek pack up their bags.  Then the next morning at about 6 am, we ate some breakfast and got on buses and headed for Wyoming.




Our Family with Bishop.


Old meets new.  


Harmonica anyone.



Playing Mafia.  


Family.

It turned out that Trek was a great experience--again--and I got to know loads of people.  Our trek kids were an amazingly hardy bunch.  Given the heat and lack of shade, I was impressed that those kids just kept on rolling.  They were an awesome group.  All is well.

No comments:

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat