It took a while to finally get one the projects done that I wanted to do. For the past three or four years I have wanted to replace the ceiling of our deck because it was old and because it was cracking and having major problems in some places and just generally looked ugly.
I was always talking about how I was going to rip out the blue ceiling and replace it. There was always a reason not to do the work, but it usually was me thinking we did not have the money to do it. Well, I was reading a story where the topic was that of thought and we think about things and feel like we are doing something when we are really not. After reading this I decided I was going to just do the demolition work and then I would have to work get it done or have an even ugly looking deck. Good thing Blake offered to help and I accepted because he knows a few things about remodeling.
A Saturday a few weeks ago I got out the tarps and put them on the deck, took my hammer and got up on the ladder and started to tear out the drywall ceiling. Joaquin became very interested and he and his friend Ben began helping me by pocking holes in the dry wall with brooms. They actually helped a lot and after a couple of hours the drywall and crown molding where gone.
I decided i would replace the ceiling with 1 x 6 tongue and groove douglas fir. Shauna and I picked out a grey-blue stain because we did not want to go dark like the deck, but we didn't quite like the color of the douglas fir. I had the material delivered from Burton and picked up the stain. I also called the electrician who installed hookup for a ceiling fan. Shauna and I then stained the wood one night at like midnight because Blake was coming over the next day to help me install the boards. Luckily Burton sold the wood in 16 foot pieces and the deck was 16 long. This made it a lot easier because we did not have to cut and fit the pieces.
I had to put up some blocking between the trusses so we would have something to attach to boards to. It took Blake and I a few hows to do the blocking and the boards but it looked good. I had to order the crown molding and a couple of boards because of damage and I underestimated a little. It then took us a few hours a week later to hand the molding but it worked out without to many problems and you can see the results below.
I have not installed a fan yet because we have not needed one but I will as it warms up. Shauna is going to pick some curtains and pots to go on the deck as well. Our deck is like an extension of our house during the summer, so It will be nice to have it finished in not to long. No I am ready for some more projects that need to get done.
This is a picture of the ceiling before.
Same view after remodel.





No comments:
Post a Comment