Friday, May 10, 2013

Mother's Day

Mom,

I don't think I can say enough good things about you.  Here I am living a life many dream about--all needs taken care of; beautiful wife and kids; and great opportunities at every turn.  How did all of this come about?  Well, a great mother of course.  

Being a parent of three rambunctious kids of my own (Joaquin has been using the window well as his own personal toilet lately), I know at times a parent can feel like a complete failure.  But then you see the fruits of your labors when your six year old tells you how he made friends with shy kid at school; or your four year old curls up on your lap and tells you that you are the best dad in the world; or your one year old gets a big grin on her face when she sees you as you come in the door from work.  All of this and much more would not have been possible without you Mom.  

On this day set aside to honor mothers--I just want to say that I am beginning to understand how much you sacrificed for your children.  You and Dad sacrificed and saved and took six kids off to Europe with you.  It probably would have been much easier and more enjoyable if you had just left us home. 

How you taught your children to be good.  The remember the time I took several suckers from the office building that we used to clean and you drove me back to the office and made me apologize and return the suckers. This has remained with me and taught me honesty all my life (although I am a lawyer now).  

How you taught us that we have a loving heavenly father.  Lugging six kids to church each Sunday without fail and not just throwing up your hands and staying home.  This act in and of its self is testimony of your efforts to teach us about God and Jesus Christ.  I know as hard as it may be, I am grateful you are serving a mission so Joaquin, Elena and Ruby have that example and legacy in their heritage as they grow up.    

Mom I cannot wait to see you guys again in a few short weeks.  You will get to meet and hold your newest granddaughter, which you can include as part of your legacy and one of your triumphs.  It will be a fantastic reunion--one which you have been working toward your entire life. 

I love you Mom.  Have a wonderful Mother's Day thinking upon all the lives that have been blessed by your love, example and sacrifice.  See you soon.    

Love, Paul

No comments:

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat