Tuesday, March 18, 2014

A Parent?

Parenting is by far the most difficult thing I have undertaken in my life.  No one can prepare you for it partly because kids are so different, but also because it happens along with you living your own life.  You may have heard Jim Gaffigan's stand up routine about having four kids.  


Pretty funny and all true.  Also, I have also been hearing about this book call "All Joy and No Fun" by Jennifer Senior.  

I intend to give a read when I have a few moments, but moments are few and far between.  I know all of this might seem like I am poor mouthing parenthood and kids--but this is not true at all.  I think it is important to know what happens to the family dynamic when kids are introduced into the mix.  I think that parents should have the "talk" with their kids at an early age, but I also think they should have another talk at some point about being a parent.  The best case scenario is that this will be a formal sit down discussion(s) about being a parent and what it means.  Not to discourage or frighten future parents, but let them know what expectations they should have about parenthood.  It is fulfilling and fun, but it is a challenge the likes of which they have not heretofore experienced.  

The great thing about challenges is that they can make you learn and grow like you never could have imagined.  If you work at the challenge in the right way, you can become a much better person and learn about all kinds of things like joy, sacrifice, love, patience, heart ache--that you never could have imagined.  
To my wife's chagrin when discussing exotic getaways I always say I want the entire family to come. Granted she needs more of break than I do because she is doing the very demanding job of raising a family most of the day by herself.  So I hear you Hon, we will make that get away--just the two of us--but maybe the kids can fly in a few days later.  I will ask her to write a response to this so she can be fully understood about her feelings for our kids also, because if there is anyone between the two of us that loves those little guys--it is her.    

I want to continue learning and growing as a parent, because I know that one day it will be the most important thing I have ever done.  All the degrees, money, possessions will amount to very little when confronted with the lives my kids have forged.  It is joy that will last for eternity.  Just check it out.  






    

No comments:

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat