Friday, March 17, 2017

Self-Reliance

Shauna and I have been participating in a self-reliance class through our church the past couple of months.  The topic is personal finance.  We meet with about ten other people from our neighborhood and talk about the various issues, troubles and successes we have related to personal finance.  It has been a really good class so far and we still have three weeks to go.  The topics range from how God is concerned about us and our temporal and spiritual well being, to the details of how to create and maintain a budget; how to examine and deal with debt; to considering insurance and what coverage you should have.

Shauna and I have struggled some with our spending over the years--never anything serious--mostly just differences in priorities.  This class definitely has shown us the priorities that need addressing first and gives both of us goals we can agree on.  We have both made some concessions, but it has made us stronger and more dedicated to the ultimate goal of self reliance.

Now when I say self reliance, I use this term to mean we are doing our best to take care of ourselves not that you should never need or ask for help.  There are things that we cannot control or mistakes that we make that need to be clean up--but if we do our best, we can have confidence that our Heavenly Father will be there to give us help and guidance.

I have to admit that I am a little like Scrooge--I want to save and I am at times a miserly dude, but I am learning to be more flexible and have more faith.  For me saving is the reward with the end goal looking like I am prospering.  The need to have and receive praise from those around us is universal and is not always bad.  However, if you--like me--sometimes imagine people looking at you for your worldly success, we are doing it wrong.  I need to re-examine this line of thinking and see what it really means to prosper.  It may mean different things for different people based on each person's circumstances and for me I see myself putting more time, energy and money into helping those who may not have had my same opportunities, or who have had one or more destabilizing blows spiritually, physically, or mentally.


1 comment:

Isabelle said...

Paul I am so proud of you and your attitudes and desires for life. My only advice is to enjoy the moment because things change and moments are lost forever unless you enjoy them while you have them. Life ends up being a series of adjustments and readjustments all the way through. Nothing, no situation lasts forever, not the good ones or the bad ones. Just learn from what you have right now. Mom

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat