Wednesday, January 21, 2015

A Prayer and A Butt

I don't know if other people's family prayers are like ours, but if they are then my condolences.  Last night as we were saying prayers, Joaquin began the family prayer by addressing Heavenly Father and immediately Rudy made a playful but loud scream.  Joaquin stopped his prayer and started to laugh.  Joaquin started again “Our dear Heavenly Father” and again Ruby made the same scream.  Soon all the kids were laughing and Joaquin and Ruby were developing a routine.  I tried to cover Ruby’s mouth while Joaquin sprinted through the prayer.  After it was over I was slightly annoyed because this is par for the course and more often than not how our family prayers go.  However, I noticed the spirit in the room because there was a good feeling and laughter so I did not get on the kids backs about that being an irreverent prayer. 

Such a feeling should trump parents swooping down and crushing the good feelings to “teach” a lesson on reverence.  There will be moments for teaching reverence, but you have to pick your moments. 


Finally, one story about Joaquin and his boyish sense of humor right now at the age of eight.  On Sunday we were heading to my parent’s house for dinner.  As is our custom we started playing twenty questions.  As each person took his or her turn Joaquin started guessing that everyone was a “butt”.  Laney was the “biggest big in the world” and each time Joaquin opened his mouth he would say, “You are a butt.”  Well, finally it was my turn and I said, “I am something round and fleshy.”  I then said go ahead Joaquin what am I.  The response of course was “you are a butt.”  Well at least it was funny. 

No comments:

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat