Friday, August 26, 2016

GT Relay 2016

Here is the race report of the Grand Teton Relay.  This year Shauna and I were both able to do it because we now have no newborns.  Shauna's parents flew in just to watch our kids while we were racing on Friday and Saturday.

We had six couples who ran the race most from Kaysville and us from Sandy.  They are a fun group of people to spend some time with.  We don't spend a lot of time hanging out these days, but when we do it is fun to be with this group.

It was a fun race even though I have been battling bronchitis the last few weeks.  Shauna and I ran legs 10 and 9 respectively.  Shauna did switch one of her easier legs for a much harder one so both legs turned out to be pretty hard.

We finished with a time of 25 hours and 22 minutes which was good enough for fifth place over all. We were about 45 minutes faster this year.  This is actually quite a feat given the number of problems we had.  One runner dropped out the night before, and Thad and John picked up those legs.  As a consequence, Thad had to drop out as he was running his last leg.  Scott also could not finish due to IT band problems so car 1 picked up his last leg.

My last leg going up over the pass from Idaho to Wyoming was brutal.  Because of my bronchitis I felt like I was not getting enough oxygen.  I have felt like this for several weeks and thought it would clear up before the race.

The weather was great and not too hot.  We started at noon and car 2 hung with car 1 for the first part of the race because Thad had picked up a spare leg.  We went an ate a Big Juds and then went and met car 1 for their final leg.

Again this year there was supposedly a bear sighting, but I think that is just an excuse for some teams to collect there runner and just skip a leg or two.

John had King of the Hill this year and bested my time by nearly four minutes finishing around 54 minutes.  The fastest guy did it in 46 minutes.  That is flying.

After the race we had a couple of masseurs come to the cabin and rub us down.  It felt really good but my soreness persisted for a couple of days.





No comments:

Shauna, Paul, and Joaquin Mayer

This is the Mayer Family blog. This is our attempt to keep a record for ourselves of the happenings of our family. It is also an attempt to make it easier for our family and friends to see pictures and get updates.

Joaquin and Papa play

Joaquin and Papa play
Joaquin and Papa play

Running in the sand

Running in the sand
Running in the sand

Sitting on the sand bench

Sitting on the sand bench
Sitting on the sand bench

big boy

big boy
I'm a big boy now!

bath

bath
Getting ready for my bath with daddy

dad and his hat

dad and his hat
I look cool in dad's hat